Article by Wendy McCance
I have two opportunities in front of me and I am frozen with fear. The first opportunity is a chance to write a story for a book. A sort of Chicken Soup for the Soul type of book. My fear comes from:
1. The fact that I have never done this before.
2. I don’t really understand how they want me to format the story I will be submitting.
3. There is a contract to sign. I should really get an attorney to read it over and make sure everything sounds right.
The second opportunity is to write for a financial blog. The company would like me to write two to three articles per week at 700-800 words per article. The fear I have with this opportunity is:
1. I am not a financial writer. When I expressed this, the company said that they were looking for someone who wrote blogs and could put together articles that were more story like in nature like the blogs I write. They are looking for repurposed articles which in itself is something I had never heard of or knew could be done. I would research a subject like where are people looking to retire, read some articles and put my own spin on one that already exists. Do people really do this?
2. Is this company really legitimate?
3. How do I handle giving personal information like a social security number? Especially since I worry about the validity of the job being offered.
So this is where I’m at. I have gotten two offers from people through LinkedIn in which I was approached about a writing assignment. This is my dream come true and I want to be thrilled and excited. I am not anxious about writing, just the details involved that might trip me up.
Is there a book out there that can guide you through the process of accepting assignments? How does a writer know when an offer is legitimate? What are the pitfalls to watch out for?
Basically, I am stuck. I don’t want to make a mistake. I am almost at the point where I am unable to move on these projects. I’m just not sure how to proceed or what to believe to be a good opportunity.
I know that many of the readers of this blog have had quite a bit of writing success. Any bit of wisdom I could get would be wonderful. I’m sure there are many other people reading this blog who are going through similar situations. It would be great to be able to pass around what your experiences are. Hopefully, we can all help each other get to that next level.
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: email@example.com
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- When Edits Go Too Far - April 24, 2019
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018