By Wendy McCance
Do you take a day every week, month or a few times a year to make sure you are doing all you can to maximize your blog? I believe a successful blog should be treated like a business. Every so often you should schedule time to regroup and refresh your blog.
Let me give you an inside peek into what I do to stay on top of my blog.
1. I sign out of my blog, then I go to my blog site to see how everything looks from a reader’s perspective. I want to make sure that things pop up correctly, that the page loads quickly and I will leave a comment, to make sure the process is easy.
2. I look my blog over and tweak it. I might add or delete widgets (for example). As time goes on, and my blog evolves, some widgets might not make sense to use anymore.
3. I go to all of my social media sites and make sure my posts are still popping up. I look at my profile and make sure all of my information is up to date. I check out what’s happening on the site to see if anything inspires me to try something new.
4. I do some research and add new social media sites to share my information on. I also delete myself from some sites if the site isn’t relevant to my blog anymore.
5. I read to answer questions, learn new things and get inspired. I will look over what I have bookmarked to see if there is anything new and relevant. If not, I will delete the bookmark because I don’t need it anymore. I try to keep things as clutter free as possible.
6. I look on Twitter for new connections that are relevant to me and add them.
7. I write down new goals, ideas and plans for my blog.
8. I read my followers blogs to get a better idea of what type of people are interested in my blog. I also want to support the people who take the time to read my blog. When I stop by, I try to comment or at least like a post. I always feel bad when I can’t figure out if there is a place where I can do that on a blog.
9. I research freelance opportunities and write some queries.
10. I look locally to find literary groups and blog groups to get involved in.
It feels good to have a few days each month to do a little maintenance. It helps to keep me organized and focused on what I want to achieve. What about you? Do you have days where you do a little maintenance? Do you find it valuable? What are some of the things you do to stay organized and on top of your blog?
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Welcome to my Blog!! - January 11, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018