Article by Wendy McCance
Looking back over the last few years, I am very happy with the progress I have made within my freelance writing career. I have met some wonderful people, worked on some incredibly interesting projects, made a good living and I do what I love every day! Even so, I always look forward to the new year. It’s a time to review, revamp and create new goals.
This year I have a new list concerning the direction I would like to go. I will be doing less writing for others and more writing for myself. Professionally I am focusing most of my energy on social media management and helping companies gain exposure on the web. Personally, I would like to develop my writing and make a name for myself within the writing community.
In the past I have focused full years on social media efforts. Building my brand, adding content to my platforms and prospecting for business. Now that I have created several solid social media sites, I can add the weekly post or two and reach out to new followers with ease. Because of the years I spent heavily prospecting, I am getting just as many inquiries that pop up in my email as what I am putting out there. So this year, I am taking a different approach entirely.
This year because I want to focus on my personal writing, I will be doing the following:
- Enter writing contests (which I have never done)
- Add to the conversation by writing a comment below writing articles that I have enjoyed
- Join writing groups online
- Pitch ideas to magazines in print and online with the hope of writing an article for the publication
- Pitch ideas to some well-known writing websites with the same goal in mind (I have done this before with success, but only tried a few times)
- Connect to more people in the writing field through social media (I am decently connected, but there is always room for improvement)
- Continuing to write and share articles on my website that might help writers that are trying to make the leap into freelance work
The list isn’t long and as the year goes on I’m sure I’ll come up with some additional ideas, but I definitely have a goal and I have a plan laid out.
What about you? Do you have some goals laid out to further your writing career? Leave a comment in the box below. I’d love to know what you have decided to do to make this year your best year yet!
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: email@example.com
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018
- The Best Facebook Groups for Writers and Why You Should Get Involved - January 8, 2018