Article by Wendy McCance
Have you ever wondered how you can increase your number of quality followers on Twitter? Have you ever wondered if there is some magical trick? Maybe you thought you have to pay for followers or that the only people who have many followers are well-known. Well, I’m here to tell you that neither is true!
You don’t need thousands of followers to be considered worthy of being followed. Valuable tweets will get you noticed. You can share informative articles or share items that make people feel good. What matters is (just like having a good blog) you are sharing something people want to see.
Since opening my own Twitter account, I have learned some easy ways to get the type of people and companies that I am thrilled to have follow me. Below, I will share my best tips with you.
Best Tips To Get Quality Followers On Twitter
1. Decide what your goal is in having people/companies follow you. Are you looking for more exposure? Are you trying to get more business by using Twitter? Maybe you are looking for valuable information or want to connect with people in your field. Knowing why you want to use Twitter will help direct you when it comes to who to follow.
I began using Twitter for more exposure for business expansion. Because I knew my goal, I realized that I wanted to follow local businesses and personalities, relevant people who were writers, social media experts and bloggers and people who inspired me.
2. The best way to start accumulating followers is to go to the accounts of people/companies you are excited to connect to and see who they are following. It helps you to quickly build up your follower list with quality people.
3. Create lists. When you put people on lists, they take notice. A list shows that you have some serious interests and think they are a valuable addition for that list. It’s a good shout out that makes people curious to check out your profile. People are more inclined to follow you when you have put them on a list and they like what they see when they visit your profile.
4. Create a strong profile, it tells people who you are and what you are all about. A picture is also a must. People need to feel connected if they are going to follow you and feeling connected is more difficult without a photo.
5. Make sure you mention where you live. Mentioning where you live will increase followers who like your profile and feel connected because you are in the same area. You don’t need to give up too much privacy by saying what city you live in. It can be your county or state or even area of the country if that makes you more comfortable.
6. Have a link to a website, LinkedIn account or some other platform where people can learn more about you. Many times people will be on the fence because they don’t know who you are and will want to learn more. Having a link where someone can get more information will help you get more followers.
*Side note: Tip #5 & #6 will also help you to get more business. People like hiring local and your link can demonstrate your expertise.
7. Write articles, post items that inspire and share good information. Writing new articles and posting archives several times a day has been incredible for increasing my follower base.
8. Get rid of SPAM. People do check to see who is following you. Forget holding on to SPAM accounts just to make your numbers look inflated. It’s not impressive when your follower list is full of SPAM accounts. It actually looks as though you aren’t really invested in the social media platform and have abandoned it or are letting tools and not an actual human handle the account.
Note: SPAM accounts are those accounts that offer an increase in Twitter followers or are selling eBay items down their feed (for instance). There are tools you can get that will also help you figure out which accounts are being run by authentic people and which are basically robot accounts.
9. Lastly, remember to thank new followers and those who share the information you have tweeted. People appreciate the acknowledgement and many times some good conversations begin with a thank you.
Do you have an additional tip that has helped you get some quality followers on Twitter? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- The Writer - April 5, 2017
- Do You Offer Advertising On Your Blog? - January 13, 2017
- Interview with Sasha Johnson, Co-Owner of 6 Degrees of Organization - January 5, 2017