Article by Wendy McCance
I have been incredibly busy recently updating my business goals and creating new avenues for growth. I love when I get a dose of inspiration that carries me in a new direction. The possibilities looking ahead are exciting.
I began by putting together a professional website with my own name as the domain name! You can check it out here: www.wendymccance.com
Then I tried over and over to revamp this website. I haven’t found the perfect theme yet, but, big changes are coming! I have a vision and can’t wait to get it up and running.
I have been putting more of my focus on writing for publications and less emphasis on writing for clients. I will still write for other people if a good opportunity presents itself, but for the most part, I have been dividing my time doing social media work for clients and writing just for myself.
The reason I have strayed away from writing for others is that honestly, it bores me. I lose my personal creativity towards writing because by the time I have written a ton of material for others, I don’t feel inspired to write for myself. I get a bit burnt out and lose some of the enjoyment of the writing process. Social media management on the other hand I love. When working for others, it’s my favorite project to manage for a client. So, I have been leaning toward what thrills me most.
In the process of working on my own material, I decided to finally do some of the things that have been nagging at me for a few years now. After putting together my personal professional website, I created three more sites.
I used the FREE version of WordPress for the three websites. The reason is because you can get a lot of press when articles are posted and published on the WordPress feed. The three sites I created were a writing, blogging and social media website. The idea being that I will slowly extract my articles on those subjects from the Searching for the Happiness site and move them to the free WordPress sites. This will free up this website so that I can focus on a personal blog without career tips and business information cluttering it up.
Personally, it’s always bothered me to have business information on a site with a name like, Searching for the Happiness. It embarrassed me and would make me cringe when I thought about it. I ended up posting that type of information on this site as I grew my own business. It was what was going on in my life, so I shared it publicly as it occurred. The hope was that the information I was learning could be shared to benefit someone else who was also building their own career. It served its purpose, but it is definitely time to cut the cord and remove the material or at least stop adding more career advice.
If you would like to check out the new sites, they are:
So here is why this idea is so perfect:
- I can create my own website address (as long as it says wordpress.com after it). This means that whenever someone types in my name and puts in “writing” or “blogging” or “social media” after it, my information will come up in a search result. Hell, you could just type in one of those key words and get a good search result.
- This is my opportunity to reach the audience I am after. These are the bloggers who are just starting out. They need to know all there is to know about blogging and might want to promote themselves on social media. Maybe they are thinking of writing as a career. Well all the information they need will be right in front of them.
- Why do I have three separate free WordPress websites instead of one? Not everyone is looking to become a writer or they might not care about social media. I can target exactly what they are looking for. In addition, it gives me more opportunities to get my name out there. Just think about how often I will appear in search results with links to blogging, social media and writing (which is how I am branding myself).
- It’s a great way to see what people are most interested in. Should I be focusing most of my attention on writing, blogging or social media? With three active sites, I’ll soon know where the interest lies with readers.
- I just finished creating the sites last night and they have only been live for several hours. In that short time, I have had several likes, a comment and a few people subscribing to the sites. That’s pretty incredible to get some movement going so quickly off some free sites.
My next project consists of working on magazine articles. Fingers crossed I will be writing a follow-up several months down the road with a list of all the places I have been published. Stay Tuned!
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: email@example.com
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- When Edits Go Too Far - April 24, 2019
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018