43 2 1
Article by Wendy McCance
I want to try something new. I’m calling it, Jump Start Your Writing Career. For the month of February, as an experiment I will be writing up goals for you to undertake each Friday. Once the entire month is complied, I will put up a page with the entire month’s information for you to easily go back and review.
Here’s what I am hoping to accomplish:
1. Each week, if you would like to participate, you will receive 5 goals to achieve the following week. You can schedule each days goal on your calendar.
2. By the end of each week, I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you have accomplished and the amazing things that have occurred because of the steps you took.
3. Between hitting the goals and the response from readers, I am hoping we will form a support group that will help you get to the next level of achievement as a freelance writer.
4. I have seen so many programs out there where you sign up, pay a fee and get information on what to do. In this program, there will be no fees, there will be free community support and hopefully a very noticeable boost in your client base and income.
5. By the end of the month, I am counting on each of you having 3 potential clients at the very minimum.
6. If you follow the plan completely, 3 new clients should be a piece of cake.
7. As you go through the month, I’d love to hear your feedback. Let me know what works best for you and share those moments where you accomplished something you are proud of.
8. How you go about each task is up to you. You can do everything in one day, multiple days or any way that fits your schedule best. This is your business that is being set up. You make the rules. Love that part!! It’s so empowering!
9. Please note that for this plan to work, you MUST have a blog. Without a blog, this system won’t produce the same results. If you don’t have a blog, put one together and then you can refer to these posts or check out the page that I will add at the end of the month.
10. I highly recommend that you grab a notebook or create a word document and label it, Accomplishments. You are going to feel a sense of accomplishment as you get over each hurdle. You will also have some extra-ordinary moments (it comes with the territory). Writing down these special times will fuel your mind and help you to stay focused, determined and proud of what you are doing.
Here is next week’s list:
Getting Ready To Promote Yourself
- Review your blog. Make sure there is a contact page, about me page and if you are looking to do any advertising, sponsored posts etc… on your blog, you will need a media kit.
- If you haven’t done so, sign up for Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and if you want a page, Facebook. Make your profile complete on each site with contact information and the link to your blog included. Add these social media sites as buttons on your blog so people can hit and gain more information about you.
- Fill in as much information as possible on your LinkedIn page. Join relevant groups. Blogging and writer groups are great. If you write about a certain topic, find a group that discusses the topic you write about. For an example on how your LinkedIn profile should look, you can check out my profile. Hit the LinkedIn button on the top right of this page.
- Connect your blog to 5 new sites by filling in your profile and adding your blog link. Sites to try might be mom blogs, Klout, Quora, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, meetup groups, Goodreads, Digg etc… Remember, the more places your name and blog link appear in search results, the more relevant you become in a potential clients eyes.
- Write a blog post that shows off your blogging or writing skills. Make the piece informative or talk about your experiences. Demonstrate your knowledge or expertise on a given topic that you write about.
Now you can celebrate!! Relax over the weekend and feel good about all that you have accomplished. The set up is what takes the most work. You will find that as each week goes by, the work will be easier because you have everything in place.
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018
- The Best Facebook Groups for Writers and Why You Should Get Involved - January 8, 2018