Article by Wendy McCance
With Thanksgiving just days away, I have been wondering how people will spend their Thanksgiving day this year? After reading so many articles about stores being open on Thanksgiving and the economy still not doing all that well, I wonder how many people will be working?
Thanksgiving for my family for the last several years was mostly held at our home. We would have friends and family over and catch up with several people we only saw a few times a year.
People would be in and out all day because of obligations to stop by other homes as well. We would usually end up hosting Thanksgiving for close to 50 people. There would be 2 or 3 turkeys and sometimes a ham. There were always more side dishes than I could count. There was usually so much food left over that we began asking people to bring tupperware containers with them. This way, families could leave with enough food to repeat the whole Thanksgiving meal. Leftovers are one of the greatest part of having the feast.
Thanksgiving day was full of wonderful commotion and activity. There would be a football game playing in the family room. An army full of men would be eating sausage, cheese and crackers while holding a beer and cheering for their team. Down in the finished basement there would be a huge group of kids running around and playing games. The kitchen would be bustling with woman cooking their dishes while holding a glass of wine and catching up with each other.
The meal itself was quite a challenge. Several tables would be set up. There would be people sitting down for dinner in three different rooms to accommodate everyone. There would also be several more tables stuffed with all the good dishes that had been cooked that day.
I am grateful for the memories that I have and that the kids will have to remember as adults. This year, we will be taking a break from hosting the festivities. Dinner will be at the in-laws this year. we will get to visit with family we haven’t seen too much this last year. It will be nice to catch up.
I hope Thanksgiving is memorable for you as well this year. Below is a quick questionnaire with questions about how you will celebrate the holiday this year. It will be interesting to see what others will be doing for the holiday.
1. Will you be celebrating Thanksgiving?
2. Will you have to work, or will you have the day off?
3. If you have to work, what type of job do you have?
4. Will you host Thanksgiving at your home?
5. How many people will you visit with on Thanksgiving?
6. Will you be travelling out-of-town for Thanksgiving?
7. Have you ever had Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant?
8. Do you look forward to Thanksgiving, or does it stress you out?
9. What is your favorite food at Thanksgiving?
10. What is your favorite pie?
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: email@example.com
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- What is a Writers Residency and How Do I Find One? - January 13, 2018
- Useful Information For Those Writing a Book - January 11, 2018
- The Best Facebook Groups for Writers and Why You Should Get Involved - January 8, 2018